To construct a theory of change, reflect on the following using an inquiry-driven process:
- What is your intended impact for the program/organization? What problem are you trying to solve?
What are the underlying causes? Who is impacted? Is the impact deep or wide?
- What are your short-term and long-term outcomes for the program/organization? What activities must occur in order to achieve each long-term outcome?
- What is your unique value proposition to the community for the program/organization?
- If your hypothesis is correct, what is the ultimate outcome for the community and/or society? If the problem is solved, what will happen?
- How does your theory of change relate to your strategy and the organization’s vision and mission?